Enjoy this light and fresh spring salad for a lunch outside with some iced Strawberry lemonade or wine spritzer.
Please note that all ingredients are Non-GMO Project Verified and/or organic. Look for Verified products by brand or category on our shopping list.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or try speltberries, but note they are not GF)
- 1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced into rounds or half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced strawberries (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt & lots of pepper, to taste
- lemon zest, for garnish
Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and place into a medium pot. Add 1.5 cups vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover with tight-fitting lid, and cook for 15-17 minutes, or until fluffy and all the water is absorbed. Fluff with fork, remove from heat, and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, grab a very large skillet or wok. Sauté the leek and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add in the asparagus and sauté for another 5-10 minutes or until the asparagus is just tender, but still a bit crisp. Stir in the strawberries (optional), peas, and parsley. Heat for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, and 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt) to taste. Pour dressing onto skillet mixture and stir in the cooked quinoa. Season to taste with salt and pepper & enjoy! This would also be lovely with nuts or seeds sprinkled on top.
The recipe is also great served cold!