Pumpkin butter gets its name for its smooth and buttery texture. Tastes great on breads, scones, muffins, in sauces and can be prettied-up to make a great gift. The butter is made gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free and allergy-friendly.
Please note that all ingredients are Non-GMO Project Verified and/or organic. Look for Verified products by brand or category on our shopping list.
- 1 can pure pumpkin (15 ounces)
- 1 cup peeled and grated fresh apple (or one serving unsweetened applesauce)
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar (or substitute ⅜ cup honey or maple syrup)
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Up to 1 cup apple juice (optional)
Combine ingredients in a heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. Once cooled, the pumpkin butter can be stored in a refrigerator up to two months. Each tablespoon has 15 calories and no fat.
Including the apple juice helps to caramelize the sugars and makes the butter sweeter, but is not necessary and leaving it out makes for a thicker butter.