Happy Valentine’s Day from the Non-GMO Project! In appreciation of your support, we’re spreading the love by sharing one of our favorite cupcake recipes from our resident baker.
Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan, these cupcakes are a yummy, allergy friendly dessert for your sweetheart or little ones. They can be eaten on their own, or filled with raspberry jam and frosted with a pink, vegan buttercream for an adorable Valentine’s treat!
3 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free or regular)
2 cups coconut sugar
1 tsp sea salt
6 Tbs cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
¾ cup coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1Tbs coffee (optional)
2cups room temp water
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease and line two cupcake trays with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer combine flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda, stirring to mix well.
- Add coconut oil, vanilla, and water. Stir well to combine.
- Add coffee and apple cider vinegar, stirring well to make sure there are no lumps in the batter. The batter will foam a little as the baking soda reacts with the vinegar.
- Using a cupcake scoop or piping bag, fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake at 375 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Frost with your choice of frosting— these pair especially well with berry or almond!