The Non-GMO Project’s eighth Non-GMO Month was a success thanks to the amazing support of our retailers, brands, and you! As always, we had so much fun celebrating our right to choose non-GMO. For us, this means taking the time to appreciate the farmers growing our food and tending the soil, the retailers working diligently to provide shoppers with meaningful non-GMO choices, the brands providing GMO transparency, and of course, the consumers that shop their values to help protect our non-GMO food supply.
Non-GMO Month 2018 in October had a number of milestones and successes, including:
- Executive Director Megan Westgate kicked off Non-GMO Month with a Facebook Live where she answered your questions and highlighted this year’s Non-GMO Month sponsors.
- More than 14,000 retailers have signed up for the Retailer Program.
- Educational content on social media was seen by more than 1.9 million people.
- Thirteen mission-aligned brands supported Non-GMO Month as Education and Outreach sponsors.
- Nearly 12,000 people entered the daily giveaways hosted on the Non-GMO Project’s Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Over 150 different stakeholders submitted comments in the Second Public Comment Period of the Standard Revision.
- In an effort to protect our non-GMO food supply, the potato was moved to the Non-GMO Project Standard’s High-Risk list. As a result of this move, products made with potato will now be subject to extra scrutiny before they can become Non-GMO Project Verified. As the gold standard for shoppers looking to avoid GMOs, the Non-GMO Project will continue to lead the way in addressing the risks posed by new GMOs.
- The Non-GMO Project joined the ETC Group and over 200 other signatories in calling for a global moratorium on the release of gene drives, a new form of genetic engineering that can override the natural laws of inheritance.
- New organic cotton “dad hats” and Non-GMO Month tote bags were launched in our online store. There is still time to stock up, just in time for holiday gifts!
- Last but not least, with your voting help we announced the winner of the retailer endcap display contest…congratulations to New Morning Market from Woodbury, CT!