Kwanzaa is the African-American celebration of culture, which runs from December 26 to New Year’s Day. Each day families light a candle and discuss one of seven principles of living: unity, self-determination, responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith. At the end of the week there is a festive party with dancing, music, cultural readings, and, many delicious heritage foods–like this classic sweet potato pie.
Please note that all ingredients are Non-GMO Project Verified and/or organic. Look for Verified products by brand or category on our shopping list.
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
- 4 tablespoons Organic Valley Butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Organic Valley Eggs
- 1 cup Organic Valley Original or Vanilla Soy Milk (or Organic Valley Half & Half)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine mashed sweet potatoes, butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in half-and-half or soymilk, butter, vanilla, and seasonings. Pour into pie shell. Bake until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Cool before serving.